Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kitchen Closing

Etsy
Its been fun.

It really has. But eight weeks ago, before starting this blog as a class assignment, I had no idea how much maintenance it would take. Like any working kitchen, a blog requires daily upkeep. Upkeep I'm not sure I can maintain in the coming quarter. 

This blog gave me things I didn't expect. Courage for every time I clicked publish. Willpower and creativity for every time I didn't feel like writing or hadn't a clue of what to write about. Admiration for those blogger's who make keeping a blog seem easy and reading it even easier. And lastly, curiosity. Keeping my own blog ironically piqued my interest in reading other peoples' blogs. 

One such interest developed while reading A Homemade Life. I used many of Wizenberg's recipes for my beginning posts and added Delancey to my bucket list of restaurants to try. So, a few weeks ago on Valentine's day, I took a detour through Seattle on my way home for the weekend.  The location itself was a bit of a hole in the wall in that it was out of the way and identifiable only by the small sign pictured below. The window on which it was written also tended to fog up (I blame this for the fact that my accomplice and I had to circle the block several times before locating it).
Please pardon the subpar, cellphone-quality of these pictures!


Delancey's decor was modest, yet chic. And the pizza? Top notch. Even better for breakfast the next day. The crust was charred around the edges, not burnt, but "kissed" by the flame (as I have heard it called). I kept my eyes peeled for Brandon or Molly, but to no avail. 

If I hadn't started my own blog, I wouldn't have become so invested in others'. I wouldn't have visited Delancey, tried and devoured Jane's carrot cake pancakes, reminisced the good ol' days of Sharks and Minnows with Kaitlyn, or sat mesmerized for ten minutes watching Bailey paint shoes.

I leave you with two things: a piece of advice and a piece of pizza.  Scratch that, just the pizza (because what else would a food blogger do?)  Though I won't be posting anymore, you can still find me in the kitchen.

And with that, the kitchen is closed.

14 comments:

  1. I've loved reading your blog, Molly! Thank you for sharing your stories. Dinner at Delancey's sounds amazing- I definitely want to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And dinner was definitely worth the (hour and fifteen minute, albeit was Valentine's Day) wait!

      Delete
  2. Though it makes me sad, I love your closing arguments:) Your blog has been wonderful and I've appreciated your very authentic voice. And I'm with Jane, Honors date to Seattle anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bailey! I'd also really like to try Ciao Thyme...if Molly trusted them with her wedding, it must be fabulous!

      Delete
  3. I second that! Great blog and I will be sad to see it go, but completely understand. I'm not sure if I'll have the motivation to post weekly if I'm not getting a grade for it.
    Now I really want to go get pizza there, it doesn't help that I haven't eaten yet today. Even those cell phone pictures are making my stomach angry at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my posts might actually be better without the motivation of a grade...something like intrinsic motivation makes your work more creative. Though, I don't know if I would post so often!

      Delete
  4. Molly, your blog was a joy to read, and always kept me smiling and laughing! That is so cool that you went to Delancey's!!! I need to try it next time I'm in Seattle. And if I get lost (which I probably will) I know I won't be the first :) I'm sad I won't get to read any more of your posts, but I completely understand that it is way more time consuming than one may think. Happy cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! I would definitely recommend going...and getting lost in Seattle seems to be far to easy!

      Delete
  5. Your blog has been so fun to read but I definitely understand the pressure that comes with having to feel creative and motivated all the time. Its awesome that you went down to Delancey's thats kind of a fun intersection between blogging and in-person connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! If only I had seen Molly or her husband...I suppose I'll have to go again :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm gonna miss you Molly! Good thing I still get to see you around school :)
    Thanks for providing such an honest outlook on cooking! Your passsion for it is infectious.
    And until you posted this, I hadn't realized what blogging has done for all of us--it definitely does require some courage to write things instantly accessible to the whole internet, but it's so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think that was the reason I chickened out of a video blog, but kudos to you for being so brave! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm going to miss your blog, Molly! But I'm glad to have gotten to know you a bit through this venue, and who knows? Maybe the blogging bug will strike again later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I will miss the class! I'm thinking about picking it back up in the summer when my schedule isn't so demanding.

    ReplyDelete