Thursday, February 21, 2013

Fish Milkshakes and Fires

If ever you consider cooking to be a safe or unadventurous activity, think again. 


This week, I set the smoke detector off on not one, two, or three, but four separate occasions.  And started my very first kitchen fire.  (Does that qualify me for some sort of Kitchen Klutz award?)

Now, I am generally pretty conservative and like to play things safe.  I pay bills weeks before they are due and do work for classes before they even begin.  For this class, I finished Wizenberg's book the day before winter classes began.  

With my risk averse nature, going to a movie on a school night is slightly scandalous.  Tonight, I went to see Safe Haven.  At 9:45 P.M.  This was ludicrous, totally unheard of in the realm of all things Molly Grater.  I felt as rebellious as Spartacus—only, instead of inciting a rebellion against a slave-owning oligarchy, I was breaking a non-existent, self-inflicted curfew. 

As with this midweek movie, I have been more adventurous with my cooking as of late.  Hence, the tuna burger.  It required that I blend a can of tuna fish with peppers, spices, bread crumbs, and such.

For many of you, the stench of tuna is probably cause enough to deem it unappetizing.  Watching it transform into a fish milkshake of sorts is even more so.  

I scrubbed my blender something fierce after dinner.


After coming up with this tuna juice instead of a thicker, patty-formable paste, I realized that I should have drained the can prior to blending it.  Oops.  Somewhere between spending time in the refrigerator and emptying a container of breadcrumbs, the mixture did what can only be described as "congealed."  

It just gets more appetizing by the minute!

Despite being slightly dry, the tuna burger wasn't too bad...especially considering how terribly I botched the recipe.  It probably helped that I slathered the top with a cilantro mayonnaise spread.  Mayonnaise is the miracle worker that makes any dish seem forgiving.

And truth be told, I am just as happy to make something new that turns out only good as I am to make something tried and true delicious that I have made dozens of times.


Do you consider yourself to be adventurous or one to stick to what you know?

For a better (veggie) burger, check out my fellow blogger's here!

3 comments:

  1. What a hilarious post! Thanks for turning your disasters into entertainment for the rest of us. Poor blenders: we put them through so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your description of the tuna! I love it, but it always kinda grosses me out too.

    I am adventurous when I decide to be. I have to make the choice beforehand, though, or else I naturally might go for the safer options. So, I guess I'm conservatively adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should be more decidedly adventurous together! I tried sushi for the first time this year and that was a big step!

      Delete