Thursday, January 31, 2013

Things I like: Cinnamon

I can pretty much separate all of life into three categories: people I love, things I like, and what gets my (hypothetical) toga all up in a twist (supposing I am an Ancient Roman).




































Belonging in the toga-twisting category are words including, but not limited to: tender, supple, chuckle, moist, and coupon.  Among the things I like are alliteration, organizing, acronyms, Jeopardy, coffee, pageants, Boggle, The Bachelor (for which I have an unabashed obsession), people watching, and cinnamon


Now, I realize you neither need, nor probably care, to know any of this.  That aside, if there is only one thing I like that you should care about, it is cinnamon.  Cinnamon is more than just a flavor or sugar's longtime partner in crime.  In fact, here are some fun facts to help you better understand the under-appreciated spice that is cinnamon.   

Cinnamon:
  • is an aphrodisiac and antioxidant made from the dried bark of laurel trees.
  • has been used as currency, medicine, and insect repellant. 
  • was used to preserve meat and embalm mummies in Ancient Egypt.
  • has been cause for both exploration and war

According to Wikipedia (my sources are bulletproof), "Cinnamon, as a warm and dry substance, was believed by doctors in ancient times to cure snakebites, freckles, the common cold, and kidney troubles."  Seriously, is there another spice so multitalented?

Anyway, if neither snickerdoodle nor cinnamon roll, apple pie nor Mexican hot chocolate, mole sauce nor churro has yet convinced you that cinnamon is a spice worth fighting for, leave it to this recipe to change your mind. 



Cinnamon Muddy Buddies/Puppy Chow


I ran out of Chex cereal and added some Wheaties.



More butter, more better, right?


...butter...




Momentarily unappetizing.



Returns to appetizing.



Must. Take. Pictures.



QUICKLY.


...before I'm photographing an empty bowl.


Reaffirm/discover your love for cinnamon here. 

9 comments:

  1. Cinnamon is my favorite flavor. I also have a weird ritual that whenever I get in the car for a long drive, I HAVE to have something cinnamon in the car, or something bad will happen (don't know where that came from!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How peculiar! Do you have some sort of Little Trees car-freshener in cinnamon?

      Delete
  2. YUM! I love puppy chow! What a good idea to use cinnamon chips. Have you ever used any other flavors (besides chocolate and cinnamon?) I was thinking butterscotch sounded good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen recipes for cake batter, cookies n' cream, pumpkin spice, and peppermint puppy chow all using white chocolate chips on Pinterest, but have not tried any of them...yet! Butterscotch does sound good! After a quick search, I found a recipe for caramel apple puppy chow using butterscotch chips. So many possibilities!

      Delete
  3. I bet these would accompany an episode of the Bachelor quite nicely! :) I had no idea that cinnamon chips existed- very exciting news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That they would! I was ignorant of their existence until very recently, too. Apparently cappuccino baking chips also exist, but can't bring myself to spend $10 on one bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Roman comment at the beginning and then referencing Ancient times toward the end. Way to bring it back around. Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ian! That was totally unintentional...didn't even notice until you pointed it out. Maybe I subconsciously brought it full circle!

      Delete
  6. Oh my. This looks quite tasty. Where can I find cinnamon chips?

    ReplyDelete